Re: WP 2.1.x and WP 3.x audio codecs

Mon, 27 Oct 1997 11:18:55 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Rolf Hemmerling wrote:
> Bad news for PC users of WP 2.1.1x: We already got the Voxware and
> Digitalk codecs (although they crash my system if I try to send), but
> not the G.723 codec. Is this all a license fee problem for WP ??

I don't see how it's bad news...It just means PC users who send with
the Voxware and Digitalk codecs will be able to be received by Mac users,
but the Mac users will have to use G.723 or the Delta-Mod codec.

I never quite figured out why you can't choose an audio codec from a list
of supported and unsupported codecs like you can with video codecs (at
least in 3.0/3.1). The audio codecs are hard coded into the program it
seems or in the very least DLL files.

On the note about licensing fees, I've heard G.723 has a very high
licensing fee (6 digits possibly) so it really discourages support for the
codec outside of companies with money to throw around. At least I believe
that was G.723...it could have been the H.263 video codec.