Re: Refs or no refs

Mon, 27 Oct 1997 11:43:03 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Eric Ochoa [NOL Staff] wrote:
> Where are you basing this statement from? Other than the fact that it's
> completely wrong, I am led to beleive you are not real familiar with how a
> reflector works. If you would like I will try and explain in a private
> email. This would be true if your reflector was running on a 128k line or
> something.. but most reflectors run on at least a T1.

How about if his whole ISP was on a 128K line? :)
Or the routers between him and the rest of the world were constantly
congested?

It seems to me more like a problem with the local internet service and his
link to outside of his country that's the problem. If he has slowness
problems on virtually every reflector, then you can't say it's the
reflector that's slow. Getting another service provider won't fix a thing
if there's only one, already overcrowded, pipe leaving the country. It's
nice to be in America where that problem doesn't exist on such a widescale
basis. (ie: don't think your ISP has enough bandwidth to support its
users, get another one that does).

In America, we seem to believe if you have the money, you can get as much
bandwidth as you want. If you can afford it, you can have a T1/T3 running
to your home. Unfortunately, for other countries it doesn't sound like
that can happen. Of course, I'm only guessing here.

As an aside...I have seen someone offering $5/month dialup accounts on his
128Kbps ISDN system. So it HAS been done. :)
The latest thing I've heard about are cable modem users reselling their
bandwidth to make a profit.