Re: 1 frame/10 minutes on a ref

Ross Binnie (dianaros@vianet.on.ca)
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:23:48 -0500

I will join a busy site tonite and keep a log. Will post the results here.
For the record, 28.8 is real world transmission rate outside of urban are=
as
(in Canada).=20
There is only 1 ISP that I can join without incuring long distance cahrge=
s.
100 hrs per month for CDN$30.00 . This is new, earlier rate was $15 for =
15
hrs and $1 hr for overtime.
ISP uses modem and routers to a server in another town. The server then
routes traffic to a connect point somwhere else.
Sprint is the carrier from local office to server and from server to net
connect point.
Local office had only 1 T1 line to handle all of the traffic, now has
additional line routed via a different carrier.
This is not an unusual situation, in Canada.
Cable is not available.

I am fortunate, rates in Europe are _very_ much higher. The rate structur=
es
there keep Net traffic at a much lower level. UK, France and Germany in
particular make Net usage a luxury.

Perhaps I am even more fortunate, not very long ago there was a different
Telco here. Service was so bad it was dubbed the Agony and Nonexistent
Telephone Company. Gov. of Ontario took control and sold the system to Be=
ll
Canada. Bell installed a complete new system and it has been a refreshing
change from what was here before.

Ross

<dianaros@vianet.on.ca>
=20

----------
> From: Gary Dietz <gdietz@wpine.com>
> To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
> Subject: Re: 1 frame/10 minutes on a ref
> Date: Monday, October 27, 1997 1:54 PM
>=20
> >But.. any technical aspect of a ref is not important if it is "busy" a=
nd
> >the frame rates are 1 frames per 10 minutes. I never payed to join a
> >ref, but I pay for my telephone time, so.. often the bandwith situatio=
> >turns me down so that I leave a busy ref by myself !
>=20
> I still don't understand how you get 1 frame every 10 minutes with a
> working 28.8 connection to reflectors near you. I guess maybe its a
Europe
webmaster@wpine.com