Re: Refs or no refs

Mon, 27 Oct 1997 17:18:09 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Ross Binnie wrote:
> Audio disabled

I've been playing around with audio...make sure you have audio disabled
BEFORE going to the reflector. It seems the Cornell PC client doesn't
keep track of the status of receive and send audio capabilites. I ran a
few tests with my reflector and another to see if the reflector knew I was
no long capable of receive audio. It didn't and consequently, anyone
sending audio wasn't heard, but the max receive cap still shot up each
time someone sent audio.
Too bad the Cornell PC version isn't still being updated :)

> At 5.06 pm EST connected to Streaks Ref 127.0.0.1
> Looking at my own image; Send 10 > 28
> Rec. 10 > 120

Try setting your max send to 15...and your max receive to 28.
Those settings work fine when connected to yourself, but when connected to
a reflector, your modem might be flooded.
High max send rates often are the causes of timeouts from reflectors as
well.

> Cu showed link loss as 0%
> link response as 0.87

Weird..with those rates from before, your link response should have been
at least 3-4 seconds.

> Test ended after 5.5 minutes. None of the above images were completly
> displayed in that time.

Try fixing your rates..Contrary to what some people think, I don't believe
setting your max receive sky high will help you any. It may harm you due
to the reflector trying to send more to you than it can handle. But then
I dunno, the reflector supposedly adjusts the client's cap so that may not
not happen.

> This is about normal for me. By contrast using Connectix VideoPhone each
> image received is complete albeit resolution is fair to poor for most
> connections.

Assuming perfect conditions and your rates from above:
You were sending a max of 28kbps
If all 3 of the people you were watching were sending around 15kbps each,
that's 15kbps X 3 = 45kbps..
Total bandwidth = total sending + total receiving = 28kbps + 45kbps =
73kbps
which means, you're 28.8kbps modem would have needed 73kbps to receive
everyone and send at 28kbps. Try adjusting your rates downward and see
what happens. 4 total windows (local + 3 other vids) is pushing it for
CU. iVisit on the other hand seems to handle more people very well. But
iVisit also handles video quality differently.