Re: Refs or no refs

Tue, 28 Oct 1997 07:39:58 +0100

Brian Godette wrote:
> if you're really paying attention, you'll notice that 38% of your > bandwidth is consumed when a conference reaches 20 clients (you're
> receiving information from N-1 clients), which is why the 15Kbps max
> transmission rate starts to make sense, it gives you about a 9% buffer
> zone for a conference that size.

Again..
Even if 38% is eaten up by internal traffic (so I am receiving 38%
percent non-video,non-audio,non-textchat informations) nevertheless, I
am receiving and sending with a maximum of 28kbps, technically.

So:
If I send with 15kbps, does this mean that I actually send with a
higher bandwidth rate, of which 38% are overhead if I am connected to a
ref with 20 clients ?

So the max transmission values are meant to be "netto", but the max
receiving values are "brutto" ??

So what about the minimum tr + re rates ? I set it to 2kbps, some refs
require such a low value (at least less than 10kbps min tr+re rates)

Sincerely
Rolf

--
      /   /   /  Alone on the data highway...
    /       /    like on an allee in Hannover-Herrenhausen