Re: Phones for MAC and PC

Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:05:15 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Eric Ochoa [NOL Staff] wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Jason Williams wrote:
>
> > I believe that's more "Marketing for the Consumer" since the consumer
> > doesn't want to pay for anything. If all companies did that, no one would
> > make any money and, arguably, the quality of software wouldn't be as
> > high as it is today. :)
>
> *choke*.. jason, is that you? :)

hehe..yeah yeah... it's me :)
I don't object to companies making money...I do object to companies making
money on software that isn't quality software. Virtually every one of the
people I know who's bought 3.0 told me they wasted their money. For one
couple's experience, try http://www.geocities.com/~memcpl/wpineshit.htm

As I *think* I said in the past, I don't mind change in software as long
as I can see the benefits in having the change. If the benefits don't
outweigh the problems then why change at all?

I look at it like this...if you're boss told you he'd give you a $50 a
month payraise but you had to pay $100 a month more to keep your parking
space, would you accept it?

I just argued for this side of the issue in a Computer Issues class I'm
taking...does a company who charges for its software tend to put out
better quality software than those companies that distribute it for free?
Without a doubt, operating systems like Linux, FreeBSD, etc that make it's
source code freely available are much less prone to problems Microsoft has
been having with Win95/NT. In the very least, people can go over the
source code of the OS itself to determine if there are any bugs..rather
than relying upon Microsoft to do it on their own. Ever wonder why GNU is
so successful and yet it distributes free software with source code?

I guess that's what prompted the response I gave... :)