Re: Refs or no refs

Brian Godette (bgodette@idcomm.com)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 14:29:50 -0700

At 07:39 AM 10/28/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Brian Godette wrote:
>> if you're really paying attention, you'll notice that 38% of your >
bandwidth is consumed when a conference reaches 20 clients (you're
>> receiving information from N-1 clients), which is why the 15Kbps max
>> transmission rate starts to make sense, it gives you about a 9% buffer
>> zone for a conference that size.
>
>Again..
>Even if 38% is eaten up by internal traffic (so I am receiving 38%
>percent non-video,non-audio,non-textchat informations) nevertheless, I
>am receiving and sending with a maximum of 28kbps, technically.

That 38% includes chat, mainly because it is also compressable. All that
traffic is very compressable being mostly text or "empty" (nulls).

>So:
>If I send with 15kbps, does this mean that I actually send with a
>higher bandwidth rate, of which 38% are overhead if I am connected to a
>ref with 20 clients ?

Your outbound overhead is 200 bytes/10 seconds plus whatever you send in
chat, everything else is audio+video. In otherwords you overhead is < 1%
for outbound.

>So the max transmission values are meant to be "netto", but the max
>receiving values are "brutto" ??

Huh?

>So what about the minimum tr + re rates ? I set it to 2kbps, some refs
>require such a low value (at least less than 10kbps min tr+re rates)

See earlier message on mins.