Re: Reflector Scanner Web Pages

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 22:43:11 -0600

At 06:09 AM 10/28/97 -0600, Jason Williams wrote:
>I've thought about adding a lot more fields.. min/max send and receive
>rates required by the reflector, email addresses, rating fields, etc.
>The problem in my aspect is it reduces the likelihood of more reflectors
>being added to the scanner.

Jason:
Do it! Just make those other fields OPTIONAL. That way, if a LAZY ref
operator (like me :) goes to fill it in, all they really have to give you
is the name of the ref and the IP/hostname. I have a submit section on my
web page, and none of the fields are actually required. As you know, I
modeled it after the Cornell phonebook entry, so it has all of the fields
that are included in the phonebook, along with a few others:

Administrator's Email address
Reflector Name
IP address or HostName
Conference ID
Is this a Lurker Only Reflector?
Receive rate Minimum? Maximum?=20
Transmit rate Minimum? Maximum?=20
Web Page Address
Rating=20
Location
City
State
Country=20
Description

Others:
If you submit ref info from my page, it gets emailed to Streak, and to
myself (just so I'm aware). Let's all urge Streak to write the code
necessary to take that input and properly populate his database.

Jason:
HINT HINT :)