(MS-23) CUSM b9 - Bitch and moan, whine, whine, whine

Sat, 10 Sep 1994 01:57:22 -0400

Hardware: Mac PowerBook 520c, 12mb RAM
Software: MacOS 7.1.1, MacTCP 2.0.4, System Update 3.0, lots of INITs/CDEVs
Target: Mac/CU-SeeMe 0.70b9

At 14:36 9/9/94, Richard Cogger wrote:
>Folks,
> New betas of CU-SeeMe for the PowerMac and 68000 Macs are now
>available for anonymous ftp:

Thank you for the announcement. After not hearing about the last couple
revisions, this is very nice.

A few days ago you sent out email regarding the lack of feedback you've
been getting.

Now, I understand that you have a busy life, what with getting out some of
the hottest new software on the net, but I have to say that you're not
using your tight beta-testing community very well, IMHO.

> However, these are still *Beta* versions. In particular, we know
>of one (or more than one) bug that shows up as a crash at startup if the
>NickNames file has more than 30-some entries.

Since the time that I offered (via private mail) to work with you or your
developers via mail or over the phone to diagnose the crash I'd been
seeing, I've sent four revisions of my reflector list to CU-SeeMe-L, which
you read. It'd have been real nice for you to let us know that you knew of
this problem. I've sent several messages out saying that I see a crash in
b7, b8, and would have sent one out about b9. After trimming the Nicknames
file to 29 names, b9 no longer crashes. Please keep the members of this
list informed; we're here to help debug your code on a wide variety of
hardware at no cost to you. Not a bad deal.

> * Bughalts will now not send you to the dumper (or MaxBug) but will
>give a dialog with a message and then quit cleanly when you click OK.

Not for me. 070b9 with a Nicknames list > 30 (or whatever my full list is)
doesn't cleanly exit, it hangs the whole damn machine. I *like* MacsBug -
it helps me figure out what's going on, tell the developer, cleanly exit,
and continue doing my work.

In other news, I requested (via private email) that you or your staff (1)
arbitrarily decide on a comment character so we can keep contact
information with the Nicknames, and (2) change the behavior of the Mac
version so that it not strip from the Nicknames file any lines that aren't
aliases. I've rec'd no word on either the merit or disposition of these
requests.

There are many people on this list who are using your fine code (thank you)
for transmitting cultural events around the planet, meeting "face to face",
and in general attempting to teach a responsible manner of using network
resources. I believe (and I apologize for speaking for the list
inhabitants) that the people that I email day in and day out about CUSM are
ready, willing, and able to be brought closer to the product, even at the
cost of a few more crashes, hangs, and the like, if we have the support of
the developers.

Tomorrow I'll be using both the 68k and ppc versions of b9 to broadcast
from the Internet exhibit on the floor of the S.F. Exploratorium (from 1300
to 1700). Bug reports, if any, to follow.

Thank you for your indulgence.

Michael Sattler <msattler@wco.ftp.com>, FTP Software, West Coast Operations
Quality Assurance Manager
WWW = http://www.wco.ftp.com/~msattler/
Don't try to teach a pig to sing; it's a waste of time & it annoys the pig.