Re: still trying the SE....

Bob Junke (bjunke@lib.muohio.edu)
Mon, 12 Sep 1994 11:05:35 -0400

On Mon, 12 Sep 1994 JonNewYork@aol.com wrote:

> I understand (now) that CUSM will not run on the Mac SE (I got it for
> free...) But I could not even get a SLIP connection going with it. I could
> not run MacTCP 2.0.4, although version 1.1.1 seems to work (i.e., I can
> double-click and configure it), but I have had NO success with MacPPP or
> InterSLIP (so I never get a connection). If I recall, MacPPP will not work
> with earlier versions of MacTCP. I am able to open the control panels, but
> the "CONNECT" or "OPEN" button is always greyed. So I suppose I can run
> z-term and that's about it. This SE was being used as a doorstop -- now I
> know why. Comments appreciated. Jon

I assume you are logging to a slip/ppp account. Have you gotten any
assistance from your network administrator? I do not have any experience
using a slip/ppp acount, however, I am connecting to our campus ARA
server and using MacTCP 2.0.4 using my MAC SE from home with no problem
whatsoever. I am using things like NCSA Telnet, NCSA Mosaic v.1 (not
enough memory for v.2), NEWSWATCHER, FETCH etc.

I would say that the problem is not with your "doorstop" but with
slip/ppp software somewhere. Sorry I couldn't offer anything constructive.

----

Bob

| Bob Junke, Library Systems |
| Miami University |