Re: REQUEST OF LIST: AV OWNERS: Please help reproduce

J. Colin R. Hunter (chunter@umabnet.ab.umd.edu)
Fri, 16 Sep 1994 18:28:32 -0400

I wrote:

>I also have a Quadra 840AV which crashes with error -227 when trying to
>run b9. I trashed the preferences file before trying to run b9. I got the
>screen allowing me to name my video send window and send/receive
>preferences, which I did. I then got my video input window onscreen and
>audio window with the "push to talk" button checked. I unchecked it and
>immediately got "SPBOpenDevice Failed err=-227" and a quit button. I
>clicked on the quit button and MacsBug reported Bus Error at 40876794
>-OldPatToNow +0014.
>
>This is the same machine that refused to acknowledge any audio from my
>microphone with b8. b5 continues to perform flawlessly.
>
>Quadra 840AV, System 7.1, MacTCP 2.0.4

Michael Sattler, San Francisco wriote:
> Gentlefolks:
>
> We have several reports of Quadra AV machines that continue to crash with
> b9 but work with b5. IF YOU OWN A QUADRA AV would you please:
>
> (1) trash your preferences file
> (2) make sure that no nicknames are greater than 30 chars long
> (3) run b9 and frob the push-to-talk stuff
> (4) report to the list failure or success and
> (a) your exact machine model (ie. 840AV)
> (b) os version (ie. 7.1.1), system update (ie. none, 3.0)
> (c) MacTCP version (ie. 2.0.4)

I have further narrowed the conflict to the Control Panel, Express Modem 1.5.3
With it on, b9 will always crash upon unchecking the "push to talk" button (this
is after trashing the preferences and nicknames files). b5 continues to work
flawlessly irrespective of Express Modem settings.

Colin Hunter
Virology Labs, University of Maryland at Baltimore