Re: Re[2]: color video?

Richard Cogger (R.Cogger@cornell.edu)
Tue, 20 Sep 1994 11:00:02 -0400

For the record, we do plan to implement color, but other things have had a
higher priority. From talking to folks who have done it for desktop
conferencing, it can be a little fussy: for example, you need to add hue
and saturation controls, etc. I agree with Michel Carleer that color is
potentially a "good deal" in terms of increase in effective information for
not much increase in bw. I also agree with others that grayscale may be
sufficient or preferable in many cases. Accordingly, I expect we will
implement it so that individuals can choose to send color or not and so
that receivers can choose whether to receive it-- the reflector will be
able to chop off the color info if a particular receiver doesn't want to
spend receive bw on it. This selective "pruning" of parts of certain video
streams will also be available to reduce resolution or frame-rate so that
each receiver can get a custom feed, oriented to using bw available on
their path from the reflector to best meet their preferences and needs.
(Currently, a receiver can close a window and thereby get rid of an entire
video stream.) -Dick