Re: Snow (840 AV video input problem)

James Hill (jamesh@imagen.sclara.qms.com)
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 15:26:56 -0400

In message <21A707978B7@cs_fs16.cs.plymouth.ac.uk> Liz Thomson writes:
> I know this is not directly related to CU, but since it does affect my
> ability to use CU I feel justified in asking this question here. :-)
>
> My 840AV has begun 'scrambling' all video input from both the s-video
> and composite input ports. Complete trash. I called Apple and they were,
> big suprise, of no use whatsoever.
>
> I have re-installed QT 2.0, but that didn't help (thanks alot for THAT
> suggestion Apple Tech Support). Also trashed various prefs files, but no
> go.
>
> I have tested the output of my VCR and camera with another source and
> they both
> work fine.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> James
>
> I have had the same problem after a crash and eventually noticed this in
> the readme file! :-)

> "However note that some Macs some times wind up showing only
> "snow" in the local video window (and transmitting it). If that
> happens, you must POWER OFF and start up to get the Spigot to reset;
> just Restart will not do it."

> Liz
>
> Liz Thomson "Ciall is Neart" Phone +44 (0)752 233229
> Email: E.Thomson@plymouth.ac.uk or P02306@pa.plym.ac.uk
> WWW Social Science HTTP://tin.ssc.plym.ac.uk/
> Social Science University of Plymouth Drake Circus Plymouth Devon PL4 8AA UK

Thanks for replying Liz, but I must have not been clear in my message...I am
using an 840 AV with BUILT-IN video, not a VideoSpigot. A Spigot would be easier
to fix, I'm sure. I am afraid this will be a system board replacement. Upon
further testing, it appears that the synch is gone..shot, ka-boom!

James

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
jamesh@qms.com