Re: Firewalls and CU-Seeme

James Hill (jamesh@imagen.sclara.qms.com)
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 12:28:25 -0400

In message <aaa8b2430a0210044415@[132.236.199.54]> Richard Cogger writes:
> At 10:20 AM 9/23/94, <jpulver@cantor.com> wrote:
> >Has anybody written (or considered writing) a proxy server for CU-Seeme?
> >My request to have UDP port 7648 turned on was turned down; I enjoy the
> >use of CU-SeeME at work - but only when I'm on the other side of our
> firewall.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Jeff Pulver
> What you might try doing is to get your security admins to run a reflector
> on the same machine (or in parallel) as the firewall. That wouldn't allow
> you to connect out, but you could get others to connect in to you. In a
> future version, we may provide the means to have a reflector establish
> connections when stimulated by an appropriately identified participant.
> Anyway, you can point out to the security folks that the reflector is
> available in source, so they can inspect it to be sure it doesn't do
> anything they don't want done.
>
> -Dick

I, too, am behind a firewall and have been using the method Dick suggests for
quite some time now - I simply run my own reflector on the firewall machine. As
Dick points out, this won't allow me to connect to an outside reflector/client
from my desktop but at least I can have a window on the world! I have also been
fortunate to have other reflector operators willing to link reflectors so as to
broaden my horizons.

Come on! Be a reflector site and we can set up a network of reflectors for us
poor firewall folks!

James

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
jamesh@qms.com