Re: WARNING: cu-seeme-l will expose your anon.penet.fi email account

Ian Carr-de Avelon (avelon@phys.uva.nl)
Fri, 01 Sep 1995 14:48:38 +0200

I've had the problem of bounced e-mails from anon.penet.fi for some time. My
account has a password. Although the anonymous mailer will know that I have
an account it would appear that he/she will not learn the account number. So
the alternative to not sending to the list, would appear to be to set a
password first. I must say, I had not spotted that this is a way of finding
who has an account, and the numbers of accounts without passwords.

yours
Ian

At 14:08 1-09-95 +0300, Keinanen Vesa wrote:
>Just yesterday I sent message to this list. As a reply I got
>message from anon.penet.fi anonymous mail services saying that I've
>been assigned anonymous mail account. This means, that copy of my
>mail went to address anxxxxx@anon.penet.fi.
>
>This is more serious that it first sounds. That anonymous recipient can
>expose anonymous mail accounts of everyone who sends mail to
>this list. He may have signed in this list twice so he will see normal
>copies AND anonymized copies of every message. It's just piece of cake to
>collect lists of mail addresses and corresponding anon accounts
>this way.
>
>To this list maintainer:
> PLEASE DON'T LET ANY ANONYMOUS ACCOUNTS ON THIS (OR ANY) MAILING LIST.
>
>To everybody:
> IF YOU HAVE ANON.PENET.FI ACCOUNT, DON'T SEND MAIL TO THIS LIST.
>
>VK
>--
>Vesa Keinanen Nasilinnankatu 24 D, 33210 Tampere, Finland
>Relevantum Oy Phone +358 31 2147200, Fax +358 31 2147402

* Ian Carr-de Avelon avelon@phys.uva.nl *
* http://pc-ia184.phys.uva.nl/avelon.htm *
* *
* dept. of Physics Education *