Re: No Free File Handles

Matthew Sanderson (matthews@noc.tor.hookup.net)
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 12:11:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 5 Sep 1995, Ken Senior wrote:

> I've been getting a strange and fatal error within windows recently.
> Windows suddenly jumps immediately to DOS giving the error: 'No Free File
> Handles'. I've set the files=40 command in config.sys, but this doesn't
> seem to be the problem. Somehow, when a file handle is no longer used,
> it's not being reset?

I hesitate to reply as this is not stricly a CU-SeeMe problem, but
you may have the obscure case of a TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident)
program (DOS of course) redirecting to NULL. If you have anything like
TSRPROG > NUL then that's a file handle used and not available 'till
reboot. If you have the above executing 10 times, that's 10 file handles
used and not available. A DOS limitation, no fix I know off.
MS recommends starting with FILES=50 in config.sys, and Windows itself
adds 10 so out of 60 you should have some room to work.

/ Matthew Sanderson CS: 70733,2700 'net: matthews@hookup.net \
\ http://www.hookup.net/~matthews /