Re: cCuSeeMe .70b1 PC cuseeme.ini

Tim_Dorcey@cornell.edu
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 16:11:27 -0400

At 4:33 PM 9/10/95 -0700, Robert Garber wrote:
>FYI... I have tested cuseeme with the program RealAudio, I have been able
>to get very readable audio over realaudio while recieving 4 or 5 images
>from cuseeme, why will cuseeme not do audio very well by itself?
>RealAudio compensates for loss rather well...possible to put a similar
>routine into cuseeme?

Doing interactive audio/video transmission in real-time, as CU-SeeMe
attempts, is a very different problem than distributing pre-recorded
materials, as is done with RealAudio. In the latter case, one has the
luxury of spending as much cpu time as is needed to compress the signal,
and one also has considerable flexibility in playout buffering, perhaps
even time for retransmission of lost packets. To support interactive
conversation, on the other hand, there is a lot to be done --digitize,
compress, transport, decompress and play-out-- in a very small time. This
is not to say that there is no room for improvement in CU-SeeMe audio. We
are working on better audio compression algorithms and also have some ideas
about making the encodings more robust to packet loss.

-Tim
Tim Dorcey Tim_Dorcey@cornell.edu
Sr. Programmer/Analyst (607) 255-5715
Advanced Technologies & Planning