Re[2]: PC audio with Quickcam

markh@ccmailgw.analogy.com
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 11:27:25 -0700

I also purchased the portable Sound Plus from DSP and have been using
for the last 8 months or so with my NEC laptop. It has a couple of
aberrations. Although it has a printer pass through, I have never
successfully been able to print while it was attached. Since it is
attached to the parallel port it has a lower priority and a lower
throughput then standard sound cards. When using it while I was still
running Drive Space, the sound tended to stop and start a lot and be
somewhat out of sync with whatever application was driving it. It also
tended not to be bi-directional. I was never able to get sound in
while it was putting sound out. As a lurker solution for CUSEEME it
work fine but a bit jerky. Since the QuickCam is also supposed to be
attached via the parallel port, I figured that if it was having that
much trouble with just sound through the port, that adding video also
would cause the poor thing to go into complete overload. I have since
switched to a PCMCIA based sound card from New Media that works 100%
better.

Nothing against the Portable Sound. It was the best thing out there
for Laptops until the PCMCIA solutions got their act together.

Mark Holm markh@analogy.com
Analogy, Inc.
P.O. Box 1669 Phone (503)626-9700
Beaverton, Oregon 97075-1669 Fax (503)643-3361