Re: Digital Phones

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@safb.af.mil)
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:05:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 26 Sep 1995, David R. Seay wrote:

> Is there any way to tell the difference between a digital phone and a
> conventional one? I'm thinking of setting up CU-SeeMe on a portable
> for use by people who travel and I don't want them to fry the modem by
> plugging into a digital line. I've heard that many companies and
> hotels now have digital phone systems. Does the cable look the same?
> Does the dial tone sound the same?
>
> Speaking of digital phone systems, what kind of speed do they offer -
> 64Kbps? And what type of termination equipment would you need to use
> one - the same stuff as for ISDN? Thanks for any help.
>
> _David

GOOD QUESTIONS!!! I have numerous personel who have gone on business trips
with laptops, and have returned with fried modems.
Keep this in mind: When you check into a hotel, check at the front desk
and specifically request "an ANALOG DATA LINE," which is, "standard phone
services for your computer." Most of your major hotels/motels (some smaller,
but ALWAYS check) use digital switching. This saves them the cost of
maintaining multiple phone lines with the phone company by having a computer
route the traffic. Check with your hotel to see if they will INSURE your
modem against damages. This will scare hotel employees into GETTING you the
"right answer!!!"
Also: (I hope you don't mind a friendly, little scare?!?) ALWAYS be leary
of phone lines you have never used!!! If you can plug your "standard home
phone" into the jack, you have about 99% chance of success.

*** WHEN IN DOUBT: Ask the professionals! ***

Good luck, ALL...

If anyone has heard different, please let me know!

* *
* "THERE IS NO SANITY... Just organized CHAOS!!!" *
* *
* Sgt Daniel W. Erskine "erskined@transcom.safb.af.mil" *
* COMM: (618) 256-6891 "derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil" *
* AUTOVON: 576-6891 "erskined@ix.netcom.com" *