Subject: Re: a proposal [?]
Author: mh@primenet.com at DDN/Internet
Date: 9/28/95 2:22 PM

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 06:38:21 -0700
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: Mark Hartman <mh@primenet.com>
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

Tom Creedon <creedont@ohsu.edu> writes:

> I'm getting about 30 or so messages a day from the various CU-SeeMe
> lists. I would like to be able to identify in the subject line to
> which platforms the messages are related. For example...
>
> This is a message about CU-SeeMe on the Macintosh [M]
>
> This is a message about CU-SeeMe on Windows [W]
>
> This is a message about CU-SeeMe on Unix [U]
>
> This is a general message. [?]

I would suggest the following:

First, PREPEND the identifier, so that it's not cut off in long subject lines.
Ex:

Subj: [M] Why can't my PowerMacintosh 7500 do video out to the network?

Second, I think that the [?] identifier should be reserved for questions for
which the poster needs an answer directly, rather than for discussion. Perhaps
we could use [*] for general messages. Perhaps even use [!] for CU-SeeMe
net.fun.stories.

Other than that, this seems to be a great convention, and I'll certainly start
using it.

Mark Hartman Computer Solutions - specializing in all things Macintosh
C C++ 4th Dimension Networking System design/architecture
tel +1(714)758.0640 -+- fax +1(714)999.5030 -+- e-mail mh@primenet.com
"But it's not a fair test! People LIKE to use the Macintosh!"
"If war is ever lawful, then peace is sometimes sinful." --C. S. Lewis