Re: Is 28.8 too slow?

Luc Volders (luc@box.nl)
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 10:45:31 +0100

Keith wrote:

>I can't seem to get any Cuseeme windows to open completely when I
>connect to a test reflector. I can get partial images, but there
>dosen't seem to be enough packets transmitted to provide me with
>info to decode.
>
>System: 486DX2 w/28.8 modem
>Internet Provider: Netcom
>Connection: SLIP 28.8 w/Cuseeme compliant winsock
>
>Is this because my connection is too slow? I can get a switched 56
>or a ISDN line in my area, but is this really necessary? If I can
>get 28.8 to work it would be the most economical way to communicate
>with my sister at the NCSA.
>
>Keith
>kbfinn@ix.netcom.com

28K8 works fine with me but under strict conditions:
- point to point connections are fine and fast
- If a reflector is crowded receiving slows down to an average of
5 or 6 k/sec with only one window open at the time
Of course I am working from Europe and have to log in at American
refelectors which might slow down things also
This certainly gives time lags
- I have the impression that CU for the Mac ver 0.83b1 is faster as
the new version 0.83b2

This message was send to you by:

Luc Volders
luc@box.nl