Re: Help!

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 00:40:24 -0500

At 07:21 PM 9/9/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I've tried everything (almost) and I can't seem to connect to any refs!
>I'm running a pent 75 w/16 megs, Stealth SE w/2 megs, Win 3.1, color
>quick cam, and a 14.4 modem using Netcom service. All I get are no
>response messages.
>
>Any help will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Art

Are you using the Cornell version, or the White Pine version? You folks need
to be REALLY SPECIFIC about these kinds of things when asking for help.
It's almost impossible to answer most questions without this kind of
information.

IF you're using the Cornell version, it comes with a DEFAULT receive rate of
300kbps, and modem users can't receive that fast. This causes a lot of the
"No Response" messages and blank windows.

IF you have no video capture device, you will have to use NOTEPAD to edit
c:\windows\cuseeme.ini to adjust these settings. Make sure CU-SeeMe is
CLOSED before doing this. Look for the [flow] section, and change the
settings like this:

[Flow Control]
MaxCap=28
MinCap=10
MaxRecvCap=28
MinRecvCap=10
CurrentRecvCap=0
UseFlowControl=Yes

Use 19 if you have a 14.4 modem, instead of the 28 that you see above. Save
the file, and restart CU-seeMe. This should help quite a bit.

If you're using the White Pine version, you can change these settings from
Edit/Preferences, under the "Communications" tab, whether you have a video
capture device or not.

Also there are 5 versions of reflector lists on my web page, different for
the PC/MAC and Cornell/White Pine versions. Try some of the refelctors on
this list, and let me know how it goes.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe