Re: Unable to connect

Ulrich Kliegis (Ulrich.Kliegis@kiel.netsurf.de)
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:37:52 +0100

> Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 15:13:27 +0700
> From: Colin Dunjohn <colindun@mozart.inet.co.th>
> To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
> Subject: Unable to connect

> Greetings from Thailand

Thanks!

> The only thing that I can think of is that I don't have an IP
> address. When I log on my provider gives me the address of
> 10.2.0.15. In brackets after this line it says "or any other
> number". The number 10.2.0.15 is the number written on their join
> up sheets so that is the number that everyone uses on this service.
> In my dial up script I can enter any IP number that I want just
> before final connection.
This does not mean anything since the IP is attributed at connection
time by your ISP.

I have also entered 10.0.2.15 in the hosts
> file with colindun as the local host name.

Check on two sides:
(1) Does your ISP transport UDP - packets? Some filter them out since
they represent a LOT of traffic. A mail to your ISP might answer
this.
(2) What IP - number does EnCU show in its center box of its command
panel (bottom of it)? You should see your actual IP address there.

Most probably, your ISP blocks UDPs. Talk to them, if they are
unflexible, get another one.

Regards,

Ulli

Don't flame me, I'm only the keyboard player...

Ulrich.Kliegis@kiel.netsurf.de
http://kiel.netsurf.de/homes/Ulrich.Kliegis/Welcome.html

Ulrich G. Kliegis Phone: +49 431 331144 Fax: +49 431 331146