Re: CU-SEEME-L digest 903

Bernie Verreau (bverreau@netcom.com)
Sat, 14 Sep 1996 17:55:35 -0700

Colin wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 12:32:13 +0700
> From: Colin Dunjohn <colindun@mozart.inet.co.th>
> Subject: Unable to connect
>
> This was the message from my Sys Op. I guess I will not be seeing you
> guys for a while. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.
>
> "UDP packets are no problem, but I think CUseeMe probably needs true PPP
> instead of our PPP emulation with dummy IP number. Anyway, two-way
> multimedia violates our ISP contract with the CAT so we don't support
> it. So far nobody has managed to get CUseeMe going on our system.
> Apps like RealAudio, which also use UDP, work fine".

I think it is possible to connect using a dummy IP, at least
it seems to work with SLiRP in PPP mode. The problem may be
using a common default like 10.0.2.15. That's equivalent to
an anonymous login and may get you banned from a majority of
the reflectors. I've noticed a much different connect rate
when I'm using a pseudo-PPP account with a dynamic, but real
IP address (assigned by the POP) and the dummy IP that SLiRP
defaults to. You might try using a nonstandard dummy IP and
see if that helps.

> Oh well I will keep plodding away and I hope to see some of you one day

Don't despair, you can always try connecting to the heavy-
breathing channels. :)

Bernie Verreau, bverreau@netcom.com, Redwood City, CA