Re: Unable to connect

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:09:52 -0500

At 03:13 PM 9/12/96 +0700, you wrote:
>Greetings from Thailand
>
>I have Enhanced CUSM and a Stinger V.capture card using a JVC camcorder.
>I run a PC 133 with 32 meg RAM.
>
>I have loaded all the software and checked all my settings ie 28 cap on
>video etc. My problem is that I can't seem to connect to any sites.
>For instance, I get through to the site and then choose a conference
>from the menu shown and it returns after about 2 mins with an "Unable to
>connect to site" message. I have been trying for a week now.
>
>Local video is fine and I can connect to myself 27.0.0.1 and see colour
>video.
>
>The only thing that I can think of is that I don't have an IP address.
>When I log on my provider gives me the address of 10.2.0.15. In
>brackets after this line it says "or any other number". The number
>10.2.0.15 is the number written on their join up sheets so that is the
>number that everyone uses on this service. In my dial up script I can
>enter any IP number that I want just before final connection. I have
>also entered 10.0.2.15 in the hosts file with colindun as the local host
>name.
>
>I use a win95 dial up script (Wsock32.dll). Host name is entered as
>colindun and Domain name is entered as inet.co.th. My internet address
>is colindun@mozart.inet.co.th.
>
>I guess it may be the ISP and I need to change it and find one who will
>give me an IP address of my own but in the meantime if there is anything
>that anyone can think of or have found similar problems please let me
>know. I dont understand how I can connect to myself which is an internet
>connection but not others.
>
>Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
>Colin Dunjohn
>--
>II*

I think what you are getting is SLIRP, not a true SLIP or PPP connection, OR
your ISP is using somethign called IP TRANSLATION. If your ISP uses either
IP TRANSLATION or SLIRP instead of a real slip or ppp connection, then the
only thing you can do to get CU to work would be to get aother ISP that does
NOT use either of these methods. I talked to a guy at my ISP recently about
IP translation AND slirp both, and that's basically what he told me. SLIRP
will work with CU, but the chat window will not. CU will definitely not
work at all with IP translation, because the CU client sends its own IP
address to the reflector (or the other CU client, in the case of a direct
connect) and this IP address is not the one that your ISP is actually using
for you.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe