Re: window / screen capture

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 13:26:55 -0500

>Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 16:53:48 +0100
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: "Ulrich Kliegis" <Ulrich.Kliegis@kiel.netsurf.de>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Re: window / screen capture
>
>> Subject: window / screen capture
>> Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 15:33:54 +0100
>
>> Hi there,
>> got a question:
>>
>> Using White Pine (16 bit) under W 3.11, I am looking for a screen
>> capture / window capture utility that will write the caputered area
>> directly to a file.
>

>In a follow - up to my own mail (sorry...) i have to correct one
>thing:
>Paint Shop Pro captures any window as long as WP EnCU does not
>run. When EnCU is running, it is impossible to capture a CU window or
>any other, including PSP's won.
>
>None of these problems occurred when I was running Cornell CU on this
>same machine before. Capturing Cornell CU windows (only for personal
>archinving, of course :) ! ) worked flawlessly.
>
>Finally, this might be important: I have the Quickcam (b/w). Is it
>possible that the QC driver interferes with the screen capture
>mechanisms in Windows?
>
>Ulli
>Don't flame me, I'm only the keyboard player...
>
>Ulrich.Kliegis@kiel.netsurf.de
>http://kiel.netsurf.de/homes/Ulrich.Kliegis/Welcome.html
>
>Ulrich G. Kliegis Phone: +49 431 331144 Fax: +49 431 331146

Ulli:

There are other programs that can do this, but I use CLIPMATE. Get it here:

http://www.thornsoft.com/

CLIPMATE allows you to capture multiple windows into memory, either the
entire sceen, or just the active window, and then save them to disk later.

To use Clipmate, Click on Config, then make sure that Auto Capture has a
check by it. Now click on User Preferences. Within this dialog box, check
Always Save, Full Layout, and Menu On. Put a large number like 10,000 in the
"How many items" field, then click OK.

>From now on when you want to capture a window, simply click on the window
you want to capture, so that it is the "active" window, then press
alt-printscreen. The window will be copied into the clipboard, and Clipmate
will grab it and store it in memory and give a sequential number. Also, any
time you use Edit/Copy in any editor, the text will be copied to the
clipboard, and to Clipmate.

You can click on the small icon at the bottom right corner of Clipmate to
bring up a grid of thumbnails of the graphic images. From this you can click
on one image and then on Mag to magnify it back up to its original size.
>From here, you can click on the eraser icon to erase the image from memory
and disk. I use this to get rid of the worst captures I got, and keep the
best ones.

CLIPMATE saves the images in BMP format, which can be easily converted to
GIF or JPG. Go to this Graphic Utilites page:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~stark/gutil_sv.html

to get Lview Pro or any other graphic program of your choice to convert it
to GIF or JPG.

I use a Quickcam, and CLIPMATE works just fine for me.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe