Re: [Fwd: Quickcam and/or CU-SeeME troubles]

Terry Reed (terry@concept5.com)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 19:32:33 -0400

At 08:58 AM 9/25/96 -0700, you wrote:

<some intro stuff snipped>

>Quickcam' s two software packages (movie and picture programs) will at
>times start up and complain that there is no cam connected. And other
>times they start out with this message BUT WHEN I CLICK OK, the
>picture just shows up away!
>
>CU-SEE-ME also makes such complaints but I am gonna GUESS that when I
>resolve my quickcam 'standalone' problems, my cuseeme will be happy
>too.
>
>The error messages in general offer such complaints such as "No device
>detected or in use by another app" - and maybe this is just from
>cuseeme but I get "invalid handles" errors too.
>
>And EVERYTIME I make settings changes or start up the apps, the
>printers heads move. IS this normal and OK or is this indicating some
>IRQ or PORT or DMA conflict?

Where do you have the Quickcam & printer connected (e.g, separate parallel
ports vs using a pass-thru parallel adapter vs using an A-B switch)? The
printer reaction would lead me to guess that the apps are 1st probing at the
port that the printer is connected to rather than the QC port. What happens
if the printer is not connected to your machine?

There has been one occasion where I got similar messages with my Color QC, &
when I reinstalled the QC drivers the messages went away.

However, I just use a boring A-B switch with my QC & printer (on a single
parallel port) so I cannot say for sure ...

Terry