Re:[Fwd: Quickcam and/or CU-SeeME troubles]

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 19:41:26 -0500

>Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 08:58:19 -0700
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Harry <nj2ca4harry@earthlink.net>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: [Fwd: Quickcam and/or CU-SeeME troubles]
>
>Quickcam' s two software packages (movie and picture programs) will at
>times start up and complain that there is no cam connected. And other
>times they start out with this message BUT WHEN I CLICK OK, the
>picture just shows up away!

I get that too every now and then, but it's a minor nuisance, so I just skip it.

>CU-SEE-ME also makes such complaints but I am gonna GUESS that when I
>resolve my quickcam 'standalone' problems, my cuseeme will be happy
>too.
>
>The error messages in general offer such complaints such as "No device
>detected or in use by another app" - and maybe this is just from
>cuseeme but I get "invalid handles" errors too.
>
>And EVERYTIME I make settings changes or start up the apps, the
>printers heads move. IS this normal and OK or is this indicating some
>IRQ or PORT or DMA conflict?

This IS normal. The way that the Quickcam driver determines the lpt port on
which the camera can be found is by sending some signals to the lpt port and
checking some signals coming back. This is normal, especially if your
printer is on lpt1 and the camera is on lpt2.

Keep in mind that if CU-SeeMe, QuickPic, or QuickMovie bombs off, then
Windows thinks the camera driver is still in use. You MUST restart windows
to get past this error if it is caused this way.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe