Re: New vs. Old color CODEC

Tue, 2 Sep 1997 16:50:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Link Cooper wrote:
> I'm using Enhanced CU 2.12. When another user is on a ref using 3.0 with
> the "MPEG Color CODEC", they show up as a lurker to me. I cannot run CU
> 3.0 with Win 3.1, and I prefer NOT to downgrade to WIN95. Has anyone
> discovered a way around this mismatch.

>From what I understand, the MJPEG codec is Win95/Mac only. There aren't
any plans to port the MJPEG codec to Win3.1. That being said, I'm not
sure quite how..but I have seen an instance of a Win3.1 user sending with
MJPEG. I know when I was using Win3.1 the MJPEG codec wasn't even listed
as being available to switch to. And anyone sending in it appeared as a
lurker to me. The one SURE way of being able to see it is to use Win95
and 2.1.1/2.1.2/3.0.

> The "gurus" on the ref say
> "download the newer CODEC", but when questioned further, they really can't
> help.

You can download the 1.1 version of the codec but it's not for Win3.1.
I believe this also has to do with the way White Pine grabbed that codec.
A company makes it available for win95 so it's easily used with CU-SeeMe.
I know the OS/2 version of CU-SeeMe also has support for receiving MJPEG.

> IS there a "patch" available? And if not, WHY would WP build in
> such an OBVIOUS mismatch??? (Do ya suppose they want us all to buy 3.0??)

There's no patch that I know of for win3.1. Why would WP do that? The
way I look at it, EVERYTHING is going win95 only. For better or for
worse, that's where the market is. I imagine White Pine realizes that a
good 90% or so of the potential market for CU-SeeMe is using Win95. The
choice then becomes obvious. You may not like win95, but that's where
everything is headed (until Win98 comes out that is). There's also the
fact that 3.0 requires a pretty hefty computer. Pentium-90 if I remember
correctly. Running Win3.1 on a Pentium-90 seems to waste a lot of
resources. I don't know of anyone on a Pentium-90 that's still running
Win3.1 that also has fairly current software on it.

I was in your shoes about 6 months ago when all I had was a 386-40. I
finally upgraded to a P-133 and now I can run everything I couldn't
before. Take the plunge and go for win95..you can always dual boot or
something if you have to. I know White Pine as well as Cornell is no
longer supporting the 16-bit platforms anymore.