Re: CU & MBone

Wed, 3 Sep 1997 17:15:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Kevin McCluskey wrote:
> I am also interested in this as well. The part I am interested in is
> bringing NASA through my reflector to show NASA to my CU users that can not
> connect directly to NASA because of our fire wall.
>
> When I reflect NASA is that a unicast or a multicast?

I'm not sure of what you mean by "reflect NASA" but you can link
reflectors thru multicast or unicast. I've personally only gotten
multicast linking of reflectors to work within the university. I'm not
multicast expert, but if you're talking about using unicast-ref or bcc
within the reflector, that's all unicast linking. I've played with a few
of the commands with the WP 2.1 reflector to enable multicast linking
reflectors using the "mc" command. It's worked great for me till I hit
machines outside of the university..then it all falls to pieces. I'd talk
with someone with NASA about it to see if they support multicast linking
of the reflectors they send their stream to.

But then..if you're not talking about linking to the NASA reflector..none
of what I said makes a difference :)

Unicast linking of reflectors works great..either thru BCC or
unicast-ref...The only problem (which I tried to talk to White Pine about)
is redirecting the IDs on the accepting side. The White Pine reflectors
that I've used always direct incoming BCC's to ID 0. With 2.1 though they
do have the local modem so you can control which IDs get sent out to
downstream reflectors.