Fw: ps- trans/recep rates (fwd)

Gary Garber (garyg1@airmail.net)
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 21:25:34 -0500

Jason this info was helpful, but I have another problem. I'm trying to
conference w/my mom who has a 28.8. I have a 33.6 and I'm the only one
sending video. She contacts me with CU-SeeMe ver 0.92b2 (Cornell), and she
can see my vid, but we can't exchange audio (i.e. voice). I also have same
software.

Can you (or anyone) help. I set my transmit to min 10, max 20, and my
receive to min 10 max 500.

Thx,
Gary

----------
From: Jason Williams <streak@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: ps- trans/recep rates (fwd)
Date: Wednesday, September 03, 1997 10:16 PM

If you're on a T1 and you're DCing with a 28.8kbps modem user, I'd suggest
a min xmit of 10 and a max xmit of 20. A min receive of 10 with a max
receive of 500 should work out ok.
You can't really take advantage of your T1 in that case...You can try
sending at 100kbps, but it may just flood your modem partner off..Your
modem partner can only see you at 15-20kbps. The T1 would come in handy
if your partner wanted to talk to you voice..you wouldn't have to close
their window to hear them but if they are on a modem, they can't do both
audio and video at the same time anyway. Either way, the T1 really
doesn't help you much in that case. Now if you were meeting them on a
reflector, you could keep everyone else's video open as well as your
partner's.

> *** ps- I forgot to say that I'd like to get halfway decent audio, even
> if I have to freeze the picture.

Receiving or sending audio? Freezing the picture would work best for your
modem partner. Set your max rates to what's above and audio shouldn't be
a problem. Make sure and use Delta-mod 16kbps audio or lower if you have
the White Pine version.