Re: Timeouts

Sat, 6 Sep 1997 16:33:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Anthony Cosgrove wrote:
> I'm using Windows 95 and NT with the cornell version of CU and everytime
> it has a timeout it nukes my internet connection. I have to hang up with
> my ISP and call back in order to fix it. What is causing this?

I've seen other reports of this but I can only think of the problem as
being one thing..incorrect rates for sending and/or receiving.

Make sure you have your max send set to 15-20kbps...and a max receive of
28kbps. I'm no expert on this, but it sounds like the packets are being
buffered at your ISP because your rates are set to high. Since they're
being buffered, CU can't respond fast enough to prevent a timeout and then
everything else appears to halt as well. If you have an external modem,
look at the Rx/Tx lights after you timeout. If it's still constantly lit,
then the lowering your rates should prevent it. I believe I read
something on Bill Woodland's (Squeek) page about the details of timing out
of a reflector. Check his page at http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW