Re: Fastchat & Geektalk

Mon, 8 Sep 1997 14:48:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Eric Ochoa [NOL Staff] wrote:
> I have to disagree with you there, the procedure for using private chat in
> 3.0 is identical to that in .92b2 :)
>
> Right click on name, check "private chat", chat away.
>
> Same in both versions :P

True..but in most cases, it's nice to have an easy way to toggle private
chat on and off. In 0.92b2, I just double click the entry line and it
toggles it on and off from the last person I spoke privately to. In 3.0,
there is no such easy option. You have to manually go and hunt them down
in the participants list each time. It makes communicating hard to do
when you often have to switch between private and public chat.

Also consider the fact that in 3.0, the text that's displayed in the chat
window when you send private messages doesn't indicate who you sent it to.
If you are talking privately to several people at once, it's hard to
remember what you send to a specific person. In 0.92b2, it's clearly
market with an arrow and the user's name. The chat window in 3.0 is
really inconvenient for me in that sense. There's also not a way to
undock the chat window so you can expand it to what you want and position
it where you want without affecting the viewing window of the participants
you wish to see. Again, that's 3.0's lousy interface design.

White Pine went out of their way to introduce more options for the chat
window, but why isn't there a logging option? There's a lot of times when
I'd rather keep a running log that's continually added to rather than
having to save it each time and only hope and pray that all of it gets
saved. Also, from what I've seen, it saves the text exactly as it appears
in the chat window so the private messages don't show up very cleanly (ie:
the circle doesn't appear in the log file). And there's no way to easily
select all and copy as there is with 0.92b2. Again...all interface
problems...But paraphrasing one White Pine's employees response to my
complaints: "New users who haven't seen CU-SeeMe before PREFER the new
interface."