Re: <Squeek> Re: Timeouts

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Tue, 09 Sep 1997 19:57:56 -0500

At 10:45 AM 9/9/97 -0500, Anthony Cosgrove wrote:
>I read your page about how CU handles disconnects from a reflector. I
>don't believe I fall under those categories. I have an external modem as
>
>mentioned before and when I timeout, I keep an eye on the RX/TX lights.
>Unfortunately, they don't do a thing. After the timeout I'm forced to
>disconnect from my ISP alltogether. Got anymore suggestions?

If you're not receiving anything from the reflector (or the other client,
if doing a direct connect)) then this IS a timeout. =20

You say that you have to disconnect from your ISP when this happens...do
you mean that you also can't use any other tcp applications? Netscape?
Ping? Traceroute?

At 01:42 PM 9/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm using Windows 95 and NT with the cornell version of CU and everytime
>it has a timeout it nukes my internet connection. I have to hang up with
>my ISP and call back in order to fix it. What is causing this?

As you can see above, you didn't mention the external modem part
before...what kind of modem is it? I used to have a similar problem with
my Motorola Lifestyle 28.8 modem until I sent it in for a firmware update.

Are you using BOTH windows 95 AND windows NT? And you have the same
problem with both? Are you using the built in dialup networking or some
other TCP stack? Have you installed the TCP patch from Microsoft
(vtcpupd.exe)? If not, get it from my ftp server at ftp://204.64.168.200

I have no other suggestions with the little info you've given so far.