Re: <Squeek> Re: Timeouts

Wed, 10 Sep 1997 00:06:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Bill Woodland (Squeek) wrote:
> At 10:45 AM 9/9/97 -0500, Anthony Cosgrove wrote:
> >I'm using Windows 95 and NT with the cornell version of CU and everytime
> >it has a timeout it nukes my internet connection. I have to hang up with
> >my ISP and call back in order to fix it. What is causing this?
>
> As you can see above, you didn't mention the external modem part
> before...what kind of modem is it? I used to have a similar problem with
> my Motorola Lifestyle 28.8 modem until I sent it in for a firmware update.

Thinking back on it...I also know certain USR Sportsters had a
"pausing" bug which really affected CU as well. I know one woman from IRC
which experienced the buggy USR Sportster and the symptoms are the same.
She'd get on a reflector, then within a minute or so everything would just
halt. The modem would stay connected, but no TCP/IP applications would
work anymore.

The only URL I have for info on it is at
http://www.carabelli.com/lore/usrincident.html The cure is a firmware
update.