Re: CU-SeeMe Gray Codec and the Connectix Color QuickCam

Jay Schuster (jay@pcc.com)
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:59:31 -0400 (EDT)

A while ago, I wrote:
> I recently got a new computer, and went from Windows 3.1 on a 486 to
> Windows 95 on a Pentium II. When I moved my color quickcam over to
> Windows 95, I also upgarded to the 3.0 of the White Pine CU-SeeMe
> (I had been running 2.1).
>
> Oddness: Under Windows 3.1, I could never get the *color* codec to
> work -- I always had to use CU-SeeMe Grey Codec. Using the color codec
> would give me a psychedelic local video window. Now, under Windows 95,
> the color codec works perfectly, but I can not use the CU-SeeMe Grey
> Codec -- I just get a blank, grey, local video screen.

Several people shared similar experiences with me. I just wanted you
all to know that I found a solution that worked for me.

Although I was running the latest White Pine CU-SeeMe, I was *not* using
the latest Connectix QuickCam drivers. I downloaded them from Connectix,
installed them, and, voila, I got a CU-SeeMe Grey Codec choice in my list
of codecs for CU-SeeMe, and it works just fine.

-- Jay

--
Jay Schuster <jay@pcc.com>
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'