Re: Auto connect tricks?

Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:44:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Bill Woodland (Squeek) wrote:
> You can do this with either the older Cornell version 84b7, or with the
> White Pine 2.x versions, but the latest Cornell version (.92b2) doesn't
> support it.

You can't natively do it with 0.92b2, but I know Richard Cekal (of
CUSDIAL) is currently working on a way to auto-connect from his dialer.

>From what I understand, auto connecting works the same way (at least on
win95) that clicking on a web page setup to run .cu/.csm files. One of
the most often asked questions about my reflector scanner is "How can I
get the Go link to work right? I set it up to run CU-SeeMe and then it
just loads it and does nothing". Everyone who's asked me this is using
the Cornell version.

I've been working with Richard Cekal to add support for this and hopefully
he'll release it at some time in the future. Basically, you'd set it up
to execute cusdial so when you click on a link on a web page, it will load
up cusdial which then loads up Cornell CU and proceeds to press all the
right keys to get connected. It's a round-a-bout way of doing it, but it
does work.

I've also asked Chris Silverberg (author of GeekTalk and CUSoon) to see if
he can implement the same type of program for the Mac Cornell version. If
there are any other Mac programmers out there that has some spare time on
their hands (yeah, right), a lot of people would like to have a utility
that does this.