Re: dynamic rate changing during a session

Thu, 18 Sep 1997 19:23:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Rolf Hemmerling wrote:
> Ups.. so does with CORNELL and WHITE PINE versions the rate
> configuration work with the *current* open communication session.. this
> is *very* unusual for (telecommunication) software, in general. With
> many other software, such changes apply for the next connection, only !
> I will have a try.

White Pine versions 3.0/3.1 seem to do it a bit differently...with the
rates specificed on each contact card (even though you can't export a
whole group of contact cards and retain the rates...but that's another
story).

But with the 2.X versions as well as the Cornell versions, you can set a
global rate and then connect. After you connect, you can adjust your
rates. I usually bump my max send from 15 up to 20-23 or so if I want to
send audio and then back down when I'm not using audio. So yeah..in CU
you can dynamically change your rates. The reflector supposedly does this
for you with the cap settings. If it notices lots of packet loss, it will
lower the cap. That's why when I've been on campus and try sending 80kbps
to all modem users, my cap gets lowered to 20kbps or so to match what they
can receive. CU has had packet loss reporting for some time I think.