Re: How to telnet a ref ?

Fri, 19 Sep 1997 14:30:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Rolf Hemmerling wrote:
> Jason Williams wrote:
> > The only time I can see using passwords on a regular basis is when usin=
> > the White Pine 2.0.X reflector that doesn't protect the IDs from people
> > who know how to telnet to the reflector.
> Please tell us how to use telnet to get all IDs of a ref !!

Umm..no thanks :)
The last time I tried to do this for honorable reasons on my reflector
scanner, I saw too many people abuse it. That was back before the WP 2.1
reflector came out. A couple of reflector operators got pissed off at the
idea of their reflector and IDs becoming known. (I would have complained
to White Pine for the lack of security options...luckily upgrading from
2.0.X to the 2.1 reflector is free).

The telnet port is no secret to those who have run White Pine reflectors
but I'm not going to openly give it out to see it being abused. It hardly
does you any good anyway anymore since most of the reflectors out there
are running the 2.1 reflector which has much better security.

> So don=B4t spend money for White Pine=B4s Enhanced CU-SEEME but use CORNE=
LL
> CUSEEME and spend the money for VOCALTEC Iphone, its a great fun to use
> gateways, for free !!!!

Hmm..the last time I looked into IPhone, they charged money depending on
which gateway you used. It was something like $.13/minute or so. Which
gateways are free? Internet Phone is a nice audio conferencing product,
but it still lacks what I like in CU-SeeMe: multipoint conferencing.