Re: Internet to real phone net gateways (offtopic)

Mon, 22 Sep 1997 14:18:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Rolf Hemmerling wrote:
> Absolutely right, but XtX allows audio connections on 33.6 connections
> with 3 participants, in addititon to a *moving* frame (not standstill
> for 5 minutes), in opposite to CU-SEEME. For CU-SEEEME, You will need
> a T1 connection for audio and video on a ref, 33.6 or ISDN is *not*
> enough (People in Europe don=B4t have T1!!)

Using the White Pine version, you can do both video and audio. I've been
playing with the new G.723 6.4kbps audio codec in the 3.1 version and it
gives amazing audio quality without sucking down all the bandwidth. You
don't really need a T1 connection for audio, but if your ISP can't support
the bandwidth you can use, it becomes a real problem. I've seen AOL and
netcom oversubscribe their bandwidth so that no one can get more than
12kbps or so even if you do have a 28.8kbps modem. I just hope RSVP
bandwidth reservation and multicasting becomes a reality for the internet
eventually. If so, then White Pine has it made.

Perhaps bandwidth in Europe isn't quite what it is in the US though. Not
many individuals in the US have T1's either. ISP's on the other hand have
the bandwidth. Give the 3.1.0.9 Enhanced CU version a shot with the lower
bandwidth codecs. I still can't stand the horribly designed interface to
use it for very long, but the improved audio codecs are fairly nice.