Re: Multiple Hosts

Brian Godette (bgodette@idcomm.com)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:56:29 -0600

At 02:23 PM 9/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Bill Woodland (Squeek) wrote:
>> >Is there a way to configure the gethostname routine to identify with which
>> method I >am using to access the net, i.e., LAN, Dial-up, and Commercial
ISP?

>> Not with the Cornell version of CU. I believe the White Pine version MIGHT
>> allow you to choose which TCP interface to use, but I'm not sure.
>
>I've used Enhanced CU 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 3.0, and 3.1 betas...and I've never
>seen this option. I'm not sure how they choose, but I recall Brian
>Godette responding to a similar question with the answer that CU binds to
>ALL interfaces...so you can't pick and choose which interface to use. At
>least I'm pretty sure that was his response.

The client binds with INADDR_ANY, which in simple terms means it listens to
all IP interfaces. However the IP the client uses in the CU packet headers
and the IP that shows up in the UDP headers will be, under NT & 95, the IP
address of the last interface that was installed on the system. The
solution to the problem of CU picking the LAN interface IP is open the
network control panel, remove the dial-up network adapter, close out &
reboot, add the dial-up network adapter, close out & reboot.