CU Video + Audio (...was IPHONE gateways)

Gary Dietz (gdietz@wpine.com)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 09:20:21 -0400

>On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Rolf Hemmerling wrote:
>> Absolutely right, but XtX allows audio connections on 33.6 connections
>> with 3 participants, in addititon to a *moving* frame (not standstill
>> for 5 minutes), in opposite to CU-SEEME. For CU-SEEEME, You will need
>> a T1 connection for audio and video on a ref, 33.6 or ISDN is *not*
>> enough (People in Europe don=B4t have T1!!)
>
>Using the White Pine version, you can do both video and audio. I've been
>playing with the new G.723 6.4kbps audio codec in the 3.1 version and it
>gives amazing audio quality without sucking down all the bandwidth. You
>don't really need a T1 connection for audio, but if your ISP can't support
>the bandwidth you can use, it becomes a real problem. I've seen AOL and
>netcom oversubscribe their bandwidth so that no one can get more than
>12kbps or so even if you do have a 28.8kbps modem. I just hope RSVP
>bandwidth reservation and multicasting becomes a reality for the internet
>eventually. If so, then White Pine has it made.

Thanks for the reality check, Streak. And the builds beyond the currently
public CU-Seeme 3.1 are even better then the now public build. Also, with
MeetingPoing and an H.323 conference configured (such as the one on the new
test site MeetingPoint Commons at 140.249.200.152) you can connect MS
NetMeeting and CU-SeeMe 3.1 clients (with H.263/G.723 codecs) and the audio
and vid will interoperate.

BTW, with MeetingPoint on the server, and a 33.6 connection to the Internet
from a local ISP (Empire.Net) on ***Windows 3.1 running CU-SeeMe 2.11***,
I've gotten interactive audio and 3 video windows open WITH movement (slow,
but movement nonetheless). I'm not able to do this with WP Ref 2.1 or
Cornell Refs.

The point about the 33.6 connection really giving all the throughput
possible is a very valid concern (for example, on AOL last night, it took
me 3 minues to upload a 24K work document -- bleah).

Cheers,

Gary

--
/\/\ Gary Dietz  White Pine Software, Inc./\/\/\/\/\/\
     Product Manager, Vertical Solutions      =20