Re: Salute to Jason Williams and Rolf Hemmerling

Wed, 24 Sep 1997 14:46:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, JS Wang wrote:
> Thanks Jason and Rolf for answering many questions. They are very
> enthusiastic for solving many kinds of problems. I like to read the
> email listing because of their existences. They provides many knowleges
> and practices on cuseeme.

I do what I can :) and I'm still learning as well...I find this is a much
better forum for discussing CU-SeeMe related topics than the Usenet groups
I've tried in the past (though comp.dcom.videoconf still has some very
interesting topics in video conferencing outside of CU-SeeMe)

> I major in computer science, I am very technical. When I was a
> layman in this field, I took a course named "Basic Computer Concept"
> --abbreviated as BCC. it is helpful for me to clarify the computer
> terminology.

> During the period I subscribe this email listing, I have
> found I didn't understand many terms on this field( especially, I am
> interested in cuseeme reflector discussions, but I didn't catch what
> they said ).

There used to be a reflector listserv at Cornell as well but from what I
gather, it died out when Cornell stopped updating the reflector. There is
a rather unused reflector listserv by someone I know on IRC but it hasn't
had much traffic lately.

> Compared with BComputerC, are there books or references to describe
> the basic cuseeme concept, coincidentally it is still BCuseemeC?

There are a couple of books out there on CU-SeeMe. I don't know how good
they are, but Michael Sattler put out a book in 1995 on CU-SeeMe.
http://www.indstate.edu/msattler/culture/books/internet-tv-w-cu-seeme.html
has information about it.

There's another book out with information at
http://zeroin-inc.com/cuseeme.html

There's also a wealth of web pages out there about it.
http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu and http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW come to
mind.
As far as the technical end goes, Tim Dorcey (who's now at BoxTop getting
ready for the release of iVisit at http://www.ivisit.com) had an article
on how CU-SeeMe works.

> What I
> want to know are Cu-seeme(you can say it Video-Conferencing) basics on
> the client/reflector theory, video, audio, hardware/software, or
> whatever related in this field.

Check those URL's...and see if it answers some of your questions.