Re: Real point-to-point

Sun, 28 Sep 1997 19:59:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Tyrone Moore wrote:
> Hello list,
> Does anyone know of any software that will connect two quickcams via the
> telephone? [modem-to-modem]
>
> Example:
> I call someone long distance and their modem answers making a connection.
> Then we send video/audio to each other.

As someone already pointed out, the idea of internet communication is nice
because it's point to point and there isn't any long distance charges.
But I've also been told by a few people that the frame rates are much
better over a point to point POTS videoconferencing call compared to a
point to point TCP/IP call. So I guess there's something that can be said
about the overhead of dealing with TCP/IP

You might check Smitch Micro's AudioVision product or other H.324 types
of programs. Also ask the question on comp.dcom.videoconf where there's a
lot more diverse video conferencing userbase.